Why the names "Moorish Rites" and "Rites of Passage Learning Center" for the company?
- Firstly, "Moorish" is a version of "Shemora" which my close friends and family call me.
- Rite: is simply a ceremonial/ritual or customary series of acts marking some significant occasion.
- Passage: means the act or process, transition, or movement from one place or condition to another.
- Rites of Passage: an activity or celebration marking the successful transition from one life stage to another.
- Moor/Moorish: As we said in the About Us page, honoring our ancestors is imperative. Our ancestors are a blueprint for life (the fundamental standard of greatness for us) and without our culture we are a dead people. Moor means one from the land and sea. We are Moors by heritage. The last designation that my people called themselves while politically free was Moor. Many indigenous tribes fall under the term Moor. My descendants hail from the Wolofe and Tuareg tribes, while my husband's from North America & North Africa. It is our personal goal and the goal of our company MOORISH RITES LLC to preserve and facilitate the passage of our Moorish culture/values. It is with this greatness in mind that we base our curriculum and create our products (i.e. The Rites of Passage Learning Center Meal Treasury, Custom Belly Dancing Coin Belts, Windows of Opportunity, Family Co-op, etc).
- We call our educational services (child care, tutoring, homeschooling) Rites of Passage Learning Center because we believe that through teaching knowledge and skills we are helping you to reach the next stage of your life (whether it is getting an "A" in algebra or having your children in a nourishing environment while at work). This progress is what will help you fulfill your life purpose or reach your highest potential (healthy well-adjusted children, that job promotion, etc). Your education supports your transition/rites of passage in life. After working with us, it is our intention, that you are in a greater position!
- Yes, we have a rites of passage program, which we offer on a case by case basis. Contact us if you want to sponsor a young person progressing through the Rites of Passage Program or know a young person interested in participating in our Rites of Passage Program.